Companions starting at


Supportive Care Program

The Supportive Care Program will support clients with cognitive impairments with funding of $500/month to purchase home support services (personal care, respite, meal preparation, and homemaking) that would otherwise be delivered through the provincial home care program.

Under this program a person may also be eligible to receive reimbursement for snow removal services, up to a maximum of $495/year.

Eligibility Checklist

The applicant must:

  • Be 65 years or older;
  • Be a Nova Scotia resident with a valid Health Card Number;
  • Have a net annual household income of $18,785 or less if they are single or $35,570 or less if they are married;
  • Have a MDS-HC© assessment completed by a Continuing Care Coordinator which indicates the individual has significant memory loss and memory problems that affect daily functioning;
  • Be authorized for 25-40 hours of home support services per month; and
  • Have a substitute decision maker who is willing to act on behalf of the applicant and be willing to sign an agreement which defines terms and conditions for participating in the program.

Supportive Care Program Policy

Read the Supportive Care Program Policy (PDF)

Questions and Answers

How does it work? 

The applicant must meet the program’s eligibility criteria. This is determined through an assessment process completed by a Continuing Care Coordinator.

How does the income test work? 

The applicant must have a net household income which places him/her in the Home Care Client Income Category A, as determined through the current home care program fee determination process. 
For example, to qualify for the Supportive Care program an applicant who is single or widowed can have an annual net income of up to $18,785. 
“Net income” is the income identified on line 236 of the Federal Income Tax Return or in the Notice of Assessment provided by Canada Revenue Agency.

Who can provide these services? 

There are many companies who provide home support and snow removal services, including those listed in the Department of Seniors’ 2010 Programs for Positive Aging which can also be viewed online.

The substitute decision maker should contact these companies, review their services and choose the service that they feel is right for the supportive care recipient. 
Home support and snow removal services may also be purchased from individuals living within their communities who provide home support or snow removal services privately. 
Funding under this program can not be used to purchase services from:

• a person or organization who owns, rents, or otherwise manages the residence and provides home support or snow removal services in which the supportive care recipient lives (e.g. assisted living facility, etc.).

• family members of the supportive care recipient. This includes the individual’s spouse/partner, children/grandchildren, parent/grandparent, siblings, aunts/uncles and nephews/nieces.

How does the supportive care recipient receive the funding? 

Once an individual is determined to be eligible for the Supportive Care Program and has been accepted into the program, the Department of Health and Wellness will deposit $500/month into the supportive care recipient’s bank account, for the purchase of approved home support services. The Substitute Decision Maker will be expected to keep receipts and submit them to designated District Health Authority staff on a quarterly basis.

Once an individual is determined to be eligible for snow removal services through the Supportive Care Program, to receive reimbursement of up to $495/year, the supportive care recipient must pay for services themselves and then submit an invoice to designated District Health Authority staff for reimbursement.

How do you apply for the program? 

If the applicant is currently receiving home care services, please call his/her Continuing Care Coordinator. If not, or you are not sure who the Continuing Care Coordinator is, please call 1 800 225 7225.

Will this funding need to be reported as income on the supportive care recipient’s Income Tax Return? 
The supportive care recipient will not have to report this funding as income on his/her income tax return because it is considered payment for medical expenses (attendant/respite services) by the Canada Revenue Agency.

Expenses incurred under this program cannot be claimed when filing Income Tax Returns.



Leave a Comment